Tony Roma’s is a fairly new restaurant located at the top end of the city (near the Woodside building) and had gained popularity ever since it opened in Perth. There was a great hype when this franchise first came to Perth. I used to hear people talking about how great the food were especially the ribs and my friend was even promoting it for functions, etc as I think he knows the owner.
When I found out we were going there for dinner, I was quite eager to try out the food. As this place is normally packed, bookings are not allowed during the weekends. We were quite lucky to have only waited 5mins before we got a table. The host was very friendly and actually told us we had to wait 15-20mins for a table, so it was very surprising that within the next 5mins, the wait staff came and showed us our table. The restaurant itself is very modern and had a great casual atmosphere (due to the use of soft lighting!). I like how they have both an inside and outside area.
We studied the menus as soon as we sat down – everything is explained in details and with pictures (awesome!). We asked the wait staff for his recommendation thinking that he would be able to lead us to order the best there is as there were too many to choose from. As we took a bit longer to decide, he got annoyed and proceeded to tell us that the restaurant is very busy and he didn’t have that much time to wait for us. Big No No in the hospitality industry to say such things!
We finally decided on what to order and they consisted of the following:
- Full Onion Loaf – giant hand-cut onions, breaded, deep-fried and served with BBQ Mayo dipping sauce (this entree is awesome especially with the dipping sauce, even better than the onion rings from Hungry Jacks! My favourite for the night)
- Appetiser Sampler of Fire Wings, Potato Skins, Mozzarella Sticks with 3 dipping sauces (our favourite was the potato skins which were baked, scooped and stuffed with cheddar cheese, bacon and sour cream)
- The Roma Feast – Carolina Honeys ribs served with BBQ chicken, special sausage, corn on the cob, chips and coleslaw (this was shared between 2, comments I received were that the serving had shrunk in size but tasty nevertheless)
- Star Studded Sampler – ribs sampler of 4 different sauces consisting of Original Baby Backs, Carolina Honeys, Red Hots and Southern Smokey Beef Ribs with chips and coleslaw (this dish is great as you can try all the different sauces and figure which one you like best)
- Full Slab of the Original Baby Back Ribs with beans and baked potato (this was the best dish for mains, tender lean pork loin meat basted in Tony Roma’s original BBQ sauce – a must try!)
Overall, I thought the restaurant lived up to their hype and they do produce very yummy ribs, so for all you meat – lovers, this is a must try. They even give you a bib for dinner in case you soil yourself!
Prices range from $35 – $40 and entrees between $15 – $20. Great place for dinner. The only slight let down was the service.
Rating by: N.L.
Telephone: 08 9481 8152
Address: 919 Hay Street, Perth