The PFEs received an invitation from Terry, co-owner of the 3 x Burger Bistros in Perth with Owen and Chris to check out their newly opened pop up cafe on Beaufort Street in Mount Lawley. Named “BB a pop up”, it serves an American style of gourmet burger using prime ingredients and brioche buns. I had a look on their website and salivated at the delicious looking burgers made with brioche buns. That is certainly something new! I was sold! As it was a friend’s birthday the long weekend that just past, we decided to head over for the celebration. Terry was kind enough to shout two of our meals with free drinks with any burgers purchased for the rest, and complimentary desserts for the birthday celebration. Thank you for your generosity!
BB a pop up is a funky looking cafe, open aired with a retro decor, quite befitting of a pop up cafe! I found out from Owen who was on duty that they only plan to trade for 8 months before turning the cafe into something else, which explains the term ‘pop up’. I could not quite understand the name before, now it’s totally clear. For those who plan to try the burgers out, get them before they are gone!
For drinks, we had:
- Monteiths Apple Cider ($6)
- Cascade Lemon Lime Bitters ($4)
- Chocolate and Strawberry Milkshakes ($5.50) with $1 extra for extra ice-cream & malt. Note that there is already a serving of ice-cream and malt in the normal milkshake
Loved the Milkshakes, they were creamy and fulfilling! I had to stop myself from sipping too much of it as they were not my drink :p
Onto the food, we had:
- The Boss ($15) – beef, bacon, cheese, BB’s smoky mayo, smoky BBQ sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion, brioche
- Side of Fries ($3.50) – a variety of sauces are found near the counter to go with the Fries. My favorite was the Garlic Chilli sauce!
- Chicken Classico ($13.50) – chicken breast, cheese, BB’s smoky mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, brioche
- The El Burro ($15.50) – beef, cheese, BB’s jalapeno chorizo relish, BB’s smoky mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, brioche – this was my order as I wanted to try the enticing sounding jalapeno chorizo relish. I could not quite taste anything special though with the relish after the first few bites. However, the burger as a whole tasted great with the soft on the inside, firm on the outside brioche bun and filling ingredients (check out the photo below showing the inside of the burger). The El Burro was not my favorite as I had a taste of the Le Beau-fort and that was more delicious! (photo coming up next hehe). h. Just a note that the burger pattie is cooked medium rare unless requested otherwise.
- Le Beau-fort ($15.50) – beef, brie, mushroom, BB’s dill & horseradish mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, brioche – this is so so yummy, loving the taste that came from the brie and mushroom combination. Definitely my favorite!
- Side of Slaw Salad ($3.50) with a choice of dill mayo or red wine lemon vinaigrette dressing – we ordered both 🙂
- Vege ($15) – roasted stack of pumpkin, red peppers, eggplant, mushroom, cheese, BB’s smoky mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, brioche – this was a healthy choice to offset the meat in the other burgers. We did an exchange and I shared half of my El Burro with a friend in exchange for half of the Vege burger. Normally not a vegetarian, this burger grew on me. Must be the mushrooms! Wouldn’t mind ordering this again next time.
We were quite full at this stage but was enticed to try the desserts through Owen’s persuasive advertisement of them. Handmade in house by their resident Italian chef he said. We had one of each to taste between us.
- Tiramisu ($6.50)
- Chocolate & Walnut Mousse ($6.50)
- Creme Brulee ($6.50)
My favorite was the Chocolate & Walnut Mousse, with its generous walnut and chocolate pieces on top and the lovely texture and taste of the mousse. Very nice!
As we were savoring the dessert, we looked around and noticed a Pacman arcade game on the side, and also a football gaming table. Great for the family with kids!
I had a great time that afternoon, celebrating a joyous occasion with yummy food, great service and happy friends who loved this new style of burgers. BB a pop up has now become one of my favorite burger bar! I was raving about it at work and my colleague went on the night with his friends. He totally loved the brioche buns as well! Thank you for the hospitality. 🙂