The PFEs were invited recently by Menulog to try out their online ordering system for takeaway food. Having not ordered anything from the internet before besides the occasional pizza from Dominoes, I decided to give it a go. The perfect opportunity came last Friday as it was raining cats and dogs and dinner delivery to the house seemed very attractive!
Some info regarding Menulog below from their website:
Menulog is No.1 For Online Takeaway in Australia with features such as:
- ability to ORDER FOOD ONLINE at 3500+ restaurants around Australia
- a quick and easy SEARCH to help YOU find your favourite restaurant
- the widest range of SPECIAL OFFERS and DISCOUNTS
- ability to view most popular and top rated venues in our USER RATINGS section as voted by your peers
I found ordering from the Menulog website to be quite simple, just enter your postcode and wait for participating restaurants around the area to be listed. Information such as the minimum order amount, delivery charges as well as the rating and any promotions the restaurant are running are shown to help one decide which restaurant to order from. An example for mine in Belmont is shown from the link below:
On this occasion I decided to go for Asian and picked Parklane Chinese Restaurant. Once I clicked on the restaurant, the available menu items and their prices are shown. Ordering the food items is then as simple as clicking the mouse button which drops the items into the shopping chart! Once the order is placed, I received a SMS indicating the expected delivery time. The delivery came one minute before the stated delivery time! I was quite impressed with the promptness!
I ordered the following from the $40 voucher provided by Menulog:
- Prawn Toast ($3.80 for 2) and Fried Wantons ($5.50 for 8) – these entrees brought back memories of my casual waitressing job in a Chinese suburban restaurant whilst in high school!
- Satay Mixed Vegetables ($10.50) – this dish consisted of a variety of vegetables including celery, snow pea, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, carrot, cabbage and button mushroom. I enjoyed this dish with the creamy satay sauce, not the usual asian style of cooking though, but something I got used to having eaten this numerous times at the old restaurant where I used to work in high school. The box was packed to the brim!
- Curry Laksa ($12.80) – this was the dish that I wanted the most as I was craving something hot and soupy due to the cold weather. The Laksa fitted the bill – hot and creamy, with mixed noodles, topped with chicken, prawns and squid. I enjoyed it.
- Fried Ice Cream ($5.50) – Could not resist ordering this to finish off the meal :p
All in all, I enjoyed the experience of ordering from Menulog and sampling the dishes from Parklane Chinese Restaurant. The style of cooking is quite westernized, typical of Chinese restaurants in the suburbs. It was very convenient ordering online and getting the food delivered to your doorsteps!